What is vertigo?
Vertigo is a sensation that you are spinning. During these dizzy spells, you may feel as though the world around you is spinning or you may feel like you are spinning.
How is vertigo related to your ears?
According the ENT doctors, vertigo is often caused by an inner ear problem. Some of the most common causes of vertigo include:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo – which occurs when tiny calcium particles clump up in the canals of the inner ear. The inner ear sends signals to your brain about your head and body movements in order to help you keep your balance.
- Meniere’s disease – which occurs when there is a build-up of fluid and changing pressure in the ear. This can cause episodes of vertigo as well as ringing in the ears and hearing loss.
- Vestibular neuritis or labyrinthitis – which is an inner ear problem related to an infection that causes inflammation in the inner ear around the nerves that are important for helping your body sense balance.
What are the symptoms?
Some symptoms of vertigo include:
- Feeling nauseated
- Ringing in the ears or hearing loss
- Feeling as though you are spinning, tilting, swaying, unbalanced, or pulled to one direction
Where can I get treatment?
Treatment for vertigo will depend on what is causing it. Healthpointe now offers audiology services at our Anaheim location. Audiology services at Healthpointe include hearing tests and evaluations, diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss, balance or speech problems, and other hearing disorders. Contact Healthpointe today to learn more about our audiology services and treatment options.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.